Boys golf team takes third at regional
Richter named WAC Swimmer of the Year
For the first time in three years, the Dodge City boys golf team is sending its whole squad to the 6A state tournament. At Monday’s regional tournament at Buffalo Dunes in Garden City, the Red Demon boys earned a third place finish with their team score of 341.
Three Dodge City golfers collected individual medals for their play. Matthew Vogel led the teams with a score of 82 which earned him a sixth place medal. Dylan Ratts finished three strokes behind Vogel for ninth place while Canyon Owens rounded out the top-10 with a score of 86.
The Red Demons will have nearly a week to prepare for the state tournament before heading to Manhattan Country Club on Monday.
Adam Kessen 88, Luke Gleason 91, Payson Hatfield 94.
The Red Demons wrapped up perhaps the best season in program history on Saturday at the 6A state tournament in Prairie Village where they earned three teams points.
Senior Florian Kark was bested by Washburn Rural’s Nathan Osborn 9-6 after beating Garden City’s Garrett Kipp to earn a third match. Kark finished his season with a 29-7 record which included a first place finish at both the Western Athletic Conference and regional tournaments.
Junior Brett Groth played a third match after beating Andrew Minter from Wichita Northwest. In his final match of the season, the Red Demon junior fell to Max Cassidy 9-2. Groth, who will be one of WAC champions’ key returners next season, won a team-high 30 matches this season.
On the doubles side, seniors Angel Salmeron and Maans Spaangaeng defeated the Red Demons’ second doubles team Richard Rodriguez and Logan Waldman.
The Dodge City girls swimming team had at least one top-three finish in all but two events at last week’s Western Athletic Conference championship meet at Great Bend. The Red Demons swimmers tallied 325 points on their way to a third place team finish, just 34 points behind Garden City.
Sophomore Amelia Richter was named WAC Swimmer of the Year for the second consecutive season. Richter paced the Red Demons with first place finishes in the 200 yard individual medley, the 100 yard breaststroke and as part of the 400 yard free relay team.
Head coach Matt Martin was also named WAC Coach of the Year. Later this week, Dodge City will find out how many of their swimmers to travel the state meet in Topeka.
3. Harvey, Richter, Sanchez, Magouirk. 2:06.88 7. Doussa, Phelps, Mendoza, Navarro. 2:20.12
4. Mendoza, 2:24.87 8. Lowery, 2:42.38
10. Childress, 2:53.63
1. Richter, 2:24.05 5. Magouirk, 2:48.88 11. Edwards, 3:30.31
2. Sowers, 26.74 7. Bogner, 29.09
5. Harvey, 1:18.90 6. Sanchez, 1:18.94 11. Shaw, 1:39.29
3. Sowers, 59.50 4. Magouirk, 1:02.79 6. Bogner, 1:07.34 500 Free 3. Sanchez, 6:24.64 8. Navarro, 7:05.19 10. Lowery, 7:15.39
2. Sowers, Harvey, Sanchez, Magourik, 1:53.25 4. Arkell, Navarro, Arkell, Bogner, 2:04.48
2. Harvey, 1:09.38 9. Doussa, 1:20.42 11. Arkell, 1:34.94
1. Richter, 1:14.74 5. Mendoza, 1:24.58 9. Phelps, 1:30.04
1. Sowers, Bogner, Mendoza, Richter, 4:12.99 6. Navarro, Lowery, Childress, Arkell, 4:54.39
By John Zetmeir, Dodge City Daily Globe